Hello peeps ♡
Çılbır is a Turkish dish consisting of poached eggs and yogurt. It is often served with melted butter and Aleppo pepper. I used red bell pepper powder for this recipe, since I just had it at home and it works also great that way!
I already have a very classic Çilbir recipe on the blog, but I wanted to create a more summery version this time. So this is my summer Çılbır recipe:: Çılbır with mint and radishes ♡
For the ingredients I have used only regional vegetables and dairy products and eggs in organic quality . The combination of color is so beautiful and literally screams “summer”: As soon as you cut the poached eggs open, all of the egg yolk and creamy yoghurt combines with the great oily texture of the seasoned butter. It is best served with a fresh sourdough bread or warm pita. Just dip the bread into the bowl and get a taste of all the different layers. Simply delicious ♡
And the best thing is: you only need 15 Minutes for this incredibly delicious recipe! Here is the time management:
- Prepare ingredients: 3 minutes → see recipe step 1 + 3
- Prepare yoghurt dip: 5 minutes → see recipe step 2
- Poach eggs: 4 minutes (2 minutes / side) → see recipe step 4
- At the same time: make seasoned butter → see recipe step 5
- Serving and garnishing: 3 minutes → see recipe step 6
Here is a little more historical knowledge:
Incidentally, according to Wikipedia, there are records that this egg dish was eaten by Ottoman sultans in the early 15th century. I don't know if that's really true, but I wouldn't be surprised as good as its tastes ♡
Here is the recipe:
Çılbır - Summer Style
For the yogurt dip
- 150 g Greek yogurt 10% fat
- 50 g natural yoghurt
- ½ clove of garlic
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of ground pepper
- a pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ lime
For the seasoned butter
- 3 tbsp butter I used a plant-based butter here
- 1 tsp red bell pepper powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp chilli flakes optional
- 4 poached eggs see video instruction in my Highlight Story (Instagram)
- 2 large radishes or 4 small ones
- 1 spring onion
- ½ bunch of mint
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- a little bit of olive oil to drizzle
- 1 tsp of hemp seeds for devotion
- the prepared seasoned butter see above
- First prepare everything for poaching the eggs: To do so, fill a large pan up to the brim with water and put on the stove over high heat. Take the eggs out of the fridge, carefully crack each one open and place each egg in a small bowl (1 egg per bowl). Make sure that the yolk stays intact.
- While the water is warming up, prepare the yoghurt dip: Peel off the garlic and grate finely. In a bowl combine garlic, Greek yoghurt, natural yoghurt, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and lime juice. Stir until creamy. If necessary, add more salt and pepper to taste. Let the dip set in the fridge for 10 minutes, while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Now wash the radishes and mint. Drain mint, and cut radishes and spring onions into fine slices. Pluck the mint leaves from the stem. Put everything aside.
- As soon as the water boils, reduce the heat a little bit and let the eggs - one by one - slide into the water. The eggs then immediately sink to the bottom of the pan and the egg white forms a kind of skin below the yolk. Let the eggs boil for 2 minutes, then carefully turn them over using a wooden spoon or spatula. Be very careful here: First lift the egg a little bit and slowly roll it until the underside is on top. Let simmer for 2 more minutes. Then lift the poached eggs out of the water immediately - do not leave them in the water any longer, otherwise the yolks will no longer be liquid! - and drain on a kitchen paper. Overall, the eggs should only stay for 4 Minutes in the water!Tip: If the eggs are a bit “frayed”, you can trim the edges with a sharp knife or a round cookie cutter to remove any excess egg white. The poached eggs will then look perfectly round!
- While the eggs are cooking, heat the butter in a small pan. Add the red bell pepper powder, salt and chilli flakes. Let simmer for about 30 seconds while stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the seasoned butter into a small bowl. Tip: Be careful here that the butter is not exposed to the heat for too long. 1,5-2 minutes are sufficient.
- Remove the prepared yoghurt dip from the refrigerator and divide it into two bowls. Now add two poached eggs to each bowl and garnish with radish slices, spring onions and fresh mint. Drizzle with seasoned butter and a little bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Finally, sprinkle with a teaspoon of hemp seeds. Serve this delish Turkish egg dish with a slice of fresh sourdough bread or some pita. Bon Appetit ♡
I wanted to let you know that there is a Tutorial video on how to poach eggs. You can find it on my Instagram feed (within my highlight stories). Please fell free to check it out.
Besides the sourdough bread, I also have a Pita recipe on my blog. Maybe you wanna try this one out as well?